Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cooking Day

 

For me, the day before Thanksgiving is usually PIE DAY. So today I made four pies - 2 pumpkin, Dale's annual Thanksgiving Day cherry pie and a Coconut cream with dark chocolate. (A pumpkin pie and the coconut pie were for friends - they have been receiving a pie-a-month from me all year, my donation to our church's fundraising auction last fall.)

Such a simple task - making a basic pie crust, adding a little sugar, fruit and tapioca or mixing up a batch of pumpkin and baking up a bit of bliss for family and friends. It always seems to be so impressive, at least to the non-cooks, but really the most difficult part is watching the clock and the oven temp so your efforts don't burn up or spill into the oven!

I took my leftover pie crust crumbs and trims, added the crumbs from the nearly empty granola cereal box, some walnuts that have been in the pantry long enough to smell bad, smooshed it all together and voila! Bird feed! So the neighborhood woodpeckers and nuthatches will find a treat on their feeder today.

 

I also sliced and dried out 2 lovely loaves of crusty Italian bread, now awaiting onions, celery, sage and broth. This will make a LOT of dressing, which seems to disappear faster than the turkey in our house. That's tonight's task. Hmmm, now I just need a good wild rice pilaf stuffing recipe for my diabetic guests who don't need lots of white bread stuffing. Can't wait to cook up the hand-harvested wild rice we brought home from Wisconsin last month.

We have been greatly blessed, and tomorrow will be a relaxing day with our friends Liz and Gary from San Diego. Hope your day will be lovely and filled with thankfulness for all the Lord is doing for you.

No comments: